Thursday, February 16, 2012

Five Favorite Games (As of 2012)

I'd say it's fairly appropriate to start the blog off with a post about the five games I consider to be my favorite.  Of all the games that I'm likely to write about, these five will definitely show up on here a lot.  I'd say that these aren't exactly in any order.  Of course, they are subject to change, so another article like this may pop up anytime.


Off we go!

5: Shadow of the Colossus

Exhilarating!

Why I Love it: Shadow of the Colossus is an amazing game in every category.  The music and graphics are fantastic, while the gameplay is wildly original and never fails to amaze.  The minimalistic story is very interesting, leaving much of the story up to the player's imagination.  I can't help but laugh every time I barely avoid a colossi's attack.  The experience simply can't be done anywhere else.  Moments like that truly make the game one of my favorites.

4: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

The heart just kept on beating faster  
Why I Love It: The story was fantastic, pulling off things that have never been seen in a video game.  The world was atmospheric with a perfect soundtrack to add to it.  The game's psychological profiling sections were brilliant, and the gimmicks added enough variety to the game to make it never feel tired or repetitive.  Seeing your answers to the profiling effect the things you encountered in the game was truly mind boggling.  This may also be the only time I've ever felt so nervous playing a game.  I was literally on the edge of my seat, especially towards the end, desperately trying to know what was going on.  Shattered Memories is a mystery I certainly will never forget.

3: Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Absolutely Amazing

Why I Love It: ZOE 2 is probably the game I play the most yearly.  It's easy to pick up, has incredibly enjoyable gameplay which literally never gets old, has plenty of replay value, looks amazing for the PS2, and has the best mechanical design I've ever seen in a mecha series.  I have ALWAYS been obessed with the designs from this game.  The music is great too and the multiplayer is always a blast to play.  Everything about the game is just too good.


2: Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

How could anyone hate Raiden?

Why I Love It: MGS2's gameplay never gets old to me, no matter how many times I play through it.  I feel it will always be the greatest in the series, despite all the hate it gets.  The story was fantastic and filled with a great amount of depth.  And not only that, but the story was the first I can think of that directly involved the player, something I feel the industry should really be doing more.  MGS2 has truly proven that games can not only be art, but that they can also give the player a story that simply cannot be done anywhere else.


1: NieR

The most under-appreciated game of all time

Why I Love It: The soundtrack is incredible, the story is the best I've ever experienced, the gameplay is fun and to the point, and when it ties other genres into itself, the game just plays even better.  The voice acting is perfect, the short stories in game are incredibly well written, the game has little details that just shows that it was made by a group of people who wanted to give the game a soul, and the way it uses multiple playthroughs to tell a unique story... The list goes on.  What I've learned most about NieR is that games have barely scratched the surface with what can be done with story-telling.  In NieR's case, the gameplay and the player's actions play a large role in the overarching idea.  Plus, as much as I love video games, it's hard not to love the game for it's references and tributes to dozens of games, from Resident Evil to Zelda.  It truly is an under-appreciated gem!

So there they are.  I wonder if these will change by the time next year rolls around?

No comments:

Post a Comment