Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mini Review: Final Fantasy XIII-2


Pros:
-It feels like Final Fantasy again
-When the soundtrack is good, it's really good
-Lots to do, including the return of minigames and sidequests
-Engaging battle system with a great amount of variety
-Voice Acting is top notch
-Graphics look amazing
-The game doesn't take itself too seriously, unlike the original XIII
-Length is perfect

Cons:
-Uneven Difficulty (Too easy most of the time, too hard on a few instances)
-The Story (Minus Noel and his future)
-Framerate can be inconsistent
-Obligatory mentioning of the ending
-The Graviton Cores.  My god, the Graviton Cores...
-Too few areas/lack of area variety

Overall Score: 8.5/10

Thoughts: Square Enix is definitely on the right track again with Final Fantasy XIII-2.  Had the story have been better and the landscapes more diverse, XIII-2 may have been one of the best entries in the series.  Hopefully, after all the poor reception the game has received mostly due to the story, the next Final Fantasy will be written well.


1 comment:

  1. I just saw the demo over at a friend and co-worker’s house from DISH yesterday I can’t wait to play it myself in the comfort of my own home. I can’t afford to buy FFIII-2 right now, but at least I can justify playing it by adding it to my Blockbuster@Home queue. After hearing and reading some of the other reviews I decided I couldn’t go wrong by giving it a try, if it’s really as bad as some reviewers say, at least I didn’t buy it and only rented the thing. But if I do like it, then I know for sure that it’ll be a keeper and I’ll go on out and buy it. I can’t wait until it gets here.

    ReplyDelete